Tin Can Bay was once called tun-kin (aboriginal word for dugong), other names include; Tin-Kin (big fish) and Tindhin (mangroves), Tuncunba - "ba" meaning "place of" and "Tuncun" meaning "Dugong" or "plenty of tucker".
The township was originally known as Wallu and changed to Tin Can Bay in 1937.
In the early days, Dugong processing was the first industry in Tin Can Bay (1850s). Next came the Timber industry when Pettigrew & Co laid the Kaloolah railway to transport cut timber on the way to Maryborough sawmills.
By the turn of the century, there still wasn't a permanent settlement at Tin Can Bay . The township was established when the government released 25 blocks in 1922, for a sum of 40 pounds each. However, by 1929 Tin Can Bay was still a backwater with only three permanent residents.
The first shop in Tin Can Bay was opened by Viv Mason in 1932. At this time the town had 35 permanent residents. The Queensland Government opened the Tin Can Bay school in 1935. The Queensland Government established the Fishboard at Tin Can Bay market in 1945 to market fish caught by local fisherman.
Tin Can Bay was a sleepy backwater holiday spot and port until 1957 when Fred Langford discovered banana prawns in the Great Sandy Strait starting the prawn industry in the area. The seafood industry thrived and the Queesnland Fish Board premises and operation were purchased by Vern Lee. The Fishboard is still operated by Vern and his Lee Fishing Company as a market for local operators and as a base for their international seafood operations
Stay at Tin Can Bay Accommodation and enjoy a great time feeding the dolphins.
To enquire about advertising on this site, please contact us here